The Ultimate Guide on How to Draw Anime Hands
The great thing about anime hands is that they resemble our hands. So even though you might find it challenging to sketch them, you can always use your hands as a guide. The reason being, the overall structure, and proportions of the human hand are the same as those of an anime hand.
There are different ways of drawing anime hands, but we’re going to focus on sketching hands with an open palm. To be more specific, we’re going to draw the back of the right hand.
How to Draw Anime Girl Hands
- Sketch the palm using a rounded rectangle. Female hands are small and slim, so you don’t want the rectangle to be too big.
- Next, we’re going to use small circles to draw the knuckles. The position of each circle will represent where each finger is going to be. That’s why you should draw them close to each other.
The circles should also go through the rounded rectangle we drew earlier. Make sure the circle representing the pinky finger is slightly lower than the others.
Use Painter as Your Anime Drawing Software
- We’ll position the thumb on the left-hand side since we’re drawing the back of the right hand. The thumb knuckle should be about halfway down the rounded rectangle.
- After you’re done with the knuckles, sketch the fingers. Since the middle finger is longer, we’re going to draw it first to use it as a reference for the rest of the fingers.
Form the sides and tips of each finger by using short, gentle strokes. Start with the first four fingers and finish with the thumb.
- Draw the thumb. It should be slightly curved on the inside and straight on the outside. The top edge of the thumb should also be curvier than the other fingertips.
- Sketch the middle and top knuckles to add some visual dimension to the hand. Use small circles but ensure that the circles that represent the top knuckle are smaller than the middle knuckle circles.
You’ll find it easier to visualize how the fingers should bend thanks to these circles.
- Create an outline of the hand by using light, short strokes. Go over the general sketch as you draw the palm, fingers, and thumb.
- Add more details to the drawing by including the nails, some wrinkles, and knuckle creases. Position the knuckle creases where the knuckles should be.
You can use your hand as a guide. However, you don’t need to make the sketch too detailed.
- Erase the guidelines and the circles, add some shading, and you’re done.
How to Draw Anime Boy Hands
Now that you’ve learned how to draw anime hands for female characters, you won’t struggle as much when drawing male anime hands. You’re going to follow the same steps, with one small variation.
Male hands are bigger, so you want to sketch a larger rounded rectangle shape in the first step. Once you do that, you can complete the drawing using steps two to nine.
You can use a pencil as you practice, and later upgrade to a pen or a marker when you become more confident in your anime drawing skills.