The Complete Guide on How to Draw Anime Hair
Like clothing, anime hair can help you bring out your character’s personality.
There are several hairstyles you can choose from, and you can also color them however you want. In this tutorial, we are going to show you how to draw hair for both male and female characters.
How to Draw Anime Girl Hair
- First, you’ll need to sketch the head, since you can’t have hair without a head. Draw the head in the shape of an inverted egg because it needs to be narrow at the bottom. You can add some ears as well.
- Next, you’ll need to draw the hairline. The hairline will guide you when you’re drawing the front and side sections of the hair.
Measure 1/5th of the height of the head and draw an arch from one side of the head to the other. Make sure you follow the curvature of the head as you draw.
Use Painter as Your Anime Drawing Software
- Draw the front section of the hair. There are different ways to approach this step, depending on the hairstyle you want. For this tutorial, we’re going to go with swooping bangs.
To achieve this look, you’ll need to draw a few spiky sections. The sections should come down from the hairline and curve to one side.
- Outline the top, sides, and ends of the hair. Sketch curved lines along both sides of the head, down to where you want the hair to end. The lines should start at the center, slightly above the head.
Start by following the curvature of the head, and then straighten each line once you’re halfway down. Afterward, connect each end of the hair to the hairline using a line.
- Add some details to the hair by drawing several lines from the roots to the ends of the hair.
- Get rid of the lines that indicate the head and the hairline. These lines are usually not visible since they’re covered with hair.
- Color or shade the hair, and you’re done.
How to Draw Anime Boy Hair
The first few steps are similar to the ones we followed when drawing anime hair for girls.
- Repeat steps one to three. Although for the bangs, you could choose to draw three.
- Sketch the rest of the hair. We’re going to draw short spiky hair, so you should sketch a few thick distinct spikes that extend away from the head. Start drawing them from one end of the hairline arch to the other.
- Give the hair more depth by adding some detail inside the outline. Add some lines to break up the hair sections.
- Remove the guidelines carefully.
- Finish the drawing by coloring or shading the hair.
Now that you’ve come to the end of this tutorial, you’re going to have an easy time sketching long and short anime hair for any character. With time, you’ll also be able to mix things up and experiment with hairstyles you’ve seen on your favorite anime and manga.