The Complete Guide on How to Draw an Anime Boy
What do Naruto and One Piece have in common?
They both have awesome male protagonists.
If you’ve always wanted to come up with some cool male characters, you’ll finally be able to make a few sketches once you’re done with this guide.
Drawing the Body
- Draw the head using an inverted egg shape. Male anime faces are not as round as female faces.
- Sketch the rest of the body using a stick figure. The figure will act as your guide when you’re drawing your character’s body.
You can draw a four-pointed shape for the chest area and circles in areas where the joints will be.
- At this stage, we’re going to add some form to the figure to complete the character’s body. Try to distinguish the contours by darkening the new lines.
Use Painter as Your Anime Drawing Software
How to Draw the Face
There are different approaches you can take when drawing male anime faces. The position of the eyes, nose, and mouth in male characters are often near the bottom of the face. So that’s where you should place these features.
We could have positioned the facial characteristics at the center of the face if we were drawing an anime girl.
- Draw a horizontal line across the face. It will help you position the facial features correctly.
- We want our character to look attractive, so we’re going to draw narrow, slanted eyes. Try not to make the eyes too narrow because the character will look older.
Slant the eyes towards the middle of the face and heavily outline the upper lids.
You should take your time when sketching the size of the eyes. The vertical and horizontal lines you drew earlier should help you with the placement.
- Sketch the ears, mouth, and nose tip. You could make your character smile or play around with other expressions.
- Clean up the drawing by erasing the unnecessary lines.
- Add some hair based on the look you want. The hair could be long, short, groomed, or messy.
If you don’t have a specific style in mind, you could give your character short, shaggy hair with long strands at the base of the neck.
Dress the Character
We want to go with something simple, so we’re going to draw a t-shirt and a pair of shorts.
- Leave some space between the shirt and the body when you’re drawing the t-shirt. The top part can be a bit snug, but the end of the sleeves should fan out. The bottom part of the t-shirt should also be wide.
- Afterward, draw the shorts and shoes. Start drawing the shorts from the bottom of the t-shirt and trace the shape of the feet when drawing the shoes.
Add a few lines at the bottom of the t-shirt and the middle of the shorts to show some folds. You can add some lines to the shoes to indicate their soles and overall design.
- Add some shade to the character, color the clothes and hair, and you’re done.
Feel free to try out different hairstyles and play around with the character’s look. You can choose different outfits for your character as well.