Digital Drawing: The Complete Guide
Art can be done in many forms. Drawing, for instance, can be done by hand and using many instruments, such as pencils or paints. However, the cost of the materials can be quite high. Therefore, in the digital age, a new art form to develop is digital art.
Digital art is just art done using digital technology. While these materials can also be expensive, they don't run out. You don't have to replace them as often, in other words. So, let's talk about what you need to get started and how you can draw using digital art.
What do I need to get started in digital drawing?
It's digital, so you are going to need some hardware and software to get going. Here is a shortlist of some of the things you will need.
- A digital drawing tablet. There are a lot of options out there, with Wacom being one of the leaders in the industry, but it comes down to your preference.
- A computer. You need to make sure it is powerful enough to run your digital drawing software and make sure that you like the operating system. Corel Painter is native to both Windows and Mac OS, so it gives you options.
- Drawing software. You can't create digital art without software. Make sure that the software you choose has the features and tools you need to do your best work.
- A sketch pad. It is always useful to have a sketchpad to make quick mockups when inspiration hits.
How do I draw digital art?
Digital drawing follows the same principles as traditional art.
- Come up with an idea. Whether it be a simple or a more complex project, you need to have an idea of what you want to draw.
- Make a rough draft. You don't need to create everything at once. Just start with some rough sketches to help you picture what you want to create more clearly.
- Add detail. After you have the rough draft complete, start smoothing out the lines and adding the details to your work.
- Add color. Digital drawing can just be black and white, or you can add color to it. Experiment with both!
- Have fun. Remember to enjoy your drawing project!
Digital art is a popular way to express your creativity. More than that, there are a ton of options for you to take advantage of using digital art options. You can even take advantage of materials you may not normally work with due to price, such as simulation oil paints. The wide variety of materials makes digital art a great choice for many different artists. The best part about digital art is that you can do it anywhere. For example, you can go outside and take advantage of landscape art opportunities. You can draw on the go while on road trips. You can capture something that is important to you.
Digital art isn't just for adults. Kids can take advantage of it too. As a parent, just think -- less paint on the carpet! However, don't forget the traditional methods too. They are important and the foundation for any digital artist. If you can't draw on paper, you can't draw using digital technology. It's not about the skill level, though. It's about creativity and having fun. Do digital art alone, do it with a friend, do it with family.